What should I look for when hiring an electrical contractor?
Ensure that they:
- are fully insured
- have a valid ESRA/ESA Electrical Contractor Licence
- will arrange permits
- are qualified to perform the type of electrical work you require
- can offer a Certificate of Inspection
- can provide references
- will provide a written cost estimate of the work
- are in good standing with WSIB (Workplace Safety & Insurance Board)
What other measures is there that will ensure I hire a competent electrical contractor?
The Authorized Contractor Program (ACP) was developed by the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) as a program to recognize those Licensed Electrical Contractors who consistently perform Ontario Electrical Code compliant work.
As an ACP electrical contractor, Current Technologies and their customers can experience:
- uninterrupted workflow
- reduced electrical service downtime during renovation
- increased compliance to the Ontario Electrical Safety Code equating to increased electrical safety
- audits of electrical installation as opposed to full electrical inspections
- reduced costs for Electrical Safety Authority inspection services
What should I do before starting electrical work?
These steps can help protect people and your facility:
- Know the rules - ask about the Ontario Electrical Safety Code requirements for electrical wiring and installations.
- Use approved products - look for the mark of a recognized certification agency on electrical products.
- If you are not familiar with your electrical system, or do not know who has done the electrical work in your building in the past, ESA recommends you consult a licensed electrical contractor about your electrical requirements.
- Arrange to have your electrical work inspected - as required by the Ontario Electrical Safety Code.